Come help us prepare young children for successful school and life experiences! We are looking for a highly motivated and passionate Classroom Project Coordinator to work with teachers, children, and the Read to Me staff in the Salinas Valley area and beyond.
The Read to Me Project is looking for an individual who enjoys working with children and has a passion for reading and literacy. The Project brings a lending library of books, appropriate for children age 8 months to 5 years old to each classroom so that older siblings can take the books home and read to their younger brothers and sisters.The Coordinator will, train the teacher and children about reading to young children, coordinate the project with the classrooms, plan and execute events, and generally provide all hands-on program management for the Project.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage and implement the Read to Me Project in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade classrooms in assigned schools following the Project Implementation timeline
- Attend required training sessions and Read to Me Project staff meetings
- Provide ‘Read to Me Project’ presentations to students and teachers
- Train student book-bin assistants
- Coach student readers
- Review classroom reading-logs, identify and correct problems
- Collect participant registration forms and enter data
- Schedule and execute Read to Me Project events
- Maintain and inventory classroom book-bins
- Oversee book-bin exchange
- Administer surveys – collect and enter data
- Maintain participating classroom files
- Provide classroom teachers and administrators with clear and regular communication
- Schedule and execute end of year awards and recognition events
- Assist with book-bin assembly at the Read to Me office
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to the Read to Me Project Mission/Vision
- Must have own car and be willing to travel between schools
- Motivated to learn Project and execute as trained
- Self-starter, accountable, high integrity
- Experience working with children in groups and individually
- Strong passion for literacy and a sense of responsibility to the children in the program
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Computer skills, e.g. Word, Excel, email
- Good rapport with children, students, and adults
- Ability to ask for help and seek information
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to maintain a schedule by keeping commitments and appointments
- Desired – Fluent Spanish language skills are preferred but not required
Work hours will fall between 8AM and 3:30PM. The number of hours and days is to be determined based on the needs of the Read to Me Project and availability of the candidate. This position begins August 1, 2014, but possibly sooner if the selected candidate is available. There will be two unpaid Holiday breaks – three weeks in Dec/Jan and one week during the week of Thanksgiving.
Hourly pay will be commensurate with experience. Individuals will be reimbursed at a negotiated rate for their mileage.
If you are interested in being part of the Read to Me Team please email Marcy Rustad and provide your resume (or summary of experience and interest in the position) and three references who are not family members. Thank you.
Marcy Rustad, Managing Director, OMP Research Associates; Read to Me Project, Director of Operations & Fund Development at email@example.com or 831-521-8847.