Title: Executive Director, Read to Me Project Reports to: Board of Directors FLSA Status: Exempt
Children are the heart of the Read to Me Project, a unique approach to help children achieve kindergarten readiness, and a lifetime of literacy, by empowering school-age brothers and sisters to read to little ones at home. The Read to Me Project’s vision is that every child enters kindergarten prepared to succeed.
The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for providing leadership and direction in overseeing the strategic plan and the operations of the organization in support of the Read to Me Project’s vision and goals. The ED provides leadership, direction, and support to the Board of Directors in developing program and organizational goals; attaining, allocating, and managing resources; and establishing policies. The ED provides leadership and direction to staff in carrying out key roles. The ED represents and presents the organization and its vision to the community and stakeholders.
- Leadership: Ensure the effective operation and delivery of the Read to Me Project program in classrooms and in the community.
- Support the organization’s vision and principles.
- Maintain an environment that facilitates the achievement of literacy outcomes for early learners and uses qualitative and quantitative measures to demonstrate the effectiveness of the program.
- Establish and monitor adherence to policies and procedures.
- Oversee programs, services, and activities that support building literacy in pre-K children and student readers.
- Fund/Resource Development: Ensure the annual budget is funded and the organization has adequate cash flow; Secure financial support from individuals, foundations, businesses and corporations. Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors. Explore and propose innovative ways to increase fundraising. Develop new grant opportunities and oversee existing grants and grant writing. Develop strategic plans to generate revenue through a variety of fundraising techniques; identify, cultivate, and solicit donors; oversee planning and implementation of special events; provide guidance to staff and volunteers performing resource development and marketing functions.
- Fund Development: Explore and propose innovative ways to increase fundraising. Secure financial support from individuals, foundations, businesses and corporations. Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors. Develop new grant opportunities and oversee existing grants and grant writing.
- Resource Management: Develop, implement, and monitor the annual budget in collaboration with the Treasurer and the Board; implement administrative and operational systems to support effective operations and internal controls; ensure productive and effective staff performance; provide guidance, feedback, and opportunities for training and professional development.
- Partnership Development: Develop strategic alliances with community leaders and local officials; develop collaborative partnerships with other educational organizations, educators, parents, families, funders, businesses and community organizations.
- Strategic Planning: Work with the Board in refining the strategic plan; identify and evaluate opportunities for improving and implementing the plan.
- Marketing and Public Relations: Increase visibility and awareness of the Read to Me Project’s programs, services, and activities, and maintain public trust.
- Board Development: Identify prospective Board members; support effective Board roles and functioning; ensure Board committees are provided with the information and support necessary to fulfill their objectives.
- Technology: Ensure that the technology and information management systems being used are current and effective; propose upgrades as needed.
- Additional Responsibilities: The Executive Director may be assigned additional special projects by the Board of Directors.
- Internal: Maintain positive and productive contact with the Board of Directors, the Read to Me Project staff and volunteers.
- External:Maintain positive and productive contact with current and potential participants in the program: parents, school districts, donors, community groups, and others as required.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of three to five years’ successful experience as an Executive Director or as Director of Programs, Development or Operations in a not-for-profit organization, or equivalent experience.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of managing not-for-profit organizations, HR laws regulations, staff performance management, resource development, funding development, and marketing
- Demonstrated ability to plan and implement effective operations: business management, resource management, financial management
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with the Board of Directors, the staff, community organizations, and other related agencies and community leaders
- Leadership skills including negotiation, problem solving, and decision making
- Strong communications skills, both written and oral
- Proficient use of MS Office Suite including Excel, PPT; CRM database; website management and social media
- Background in education and/or knowledge of early childhood development
- Biliteracy in English and Spanish
- Experience with program impact assessment and evaluation
Position is at the Read to Me Project office located in Salinas, CA. Relocation funding is not provided. Apply online including a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.