Children are the heart of the Read to Me Project, an innovative program that helps children achieve kindergarten readiness and a lifetime of literacy by empowering upper-elementary age brothers and sisters to read to their young siblings at home. The Read to Me Project vision is: Every child entering kindergarten is prepared to succeed.
Position Summary: We are seeking a highly organized individual to become a Read to Me Project Program Coordinator, an advocate with the ability to inspire teacher participation and build rapport with those teachers. The Program Coordinator is trained to prepare, coordinate and oversee all aspects of project implementation including: conducting presentations about the program, coaching groups of 4th, 5th and 6th grade student participants, preparing books-bins for use in the classrooms, managing student surveys, and generally taking responsibility for successful program outcomes in assigned classrooms. Teaching or presenting skills are desirable. The individual with bilingual skills
(Spanish/English) may also be asked to conduct parent presentations, but this is not a requirement.
Responsibilities include and are not limited to:
- Participate in staff training sessions and team meetings
- Manage and implement with great attention to detail, Read to Me Project in 4th, 5th, and 6th grade classrooms in assigned schools while following the Project implementation timeline:
- Conduct orientations to students and teachers
- Manage and organize all program forms
- Train student assistants to check books in and out
- Coach groups of student readers throughout the year
- Review classroom reading-logs, identify and resolve any challenges students may have
- Maintain regular communications with supervisor
- Plan, schedule and execute Read to Me Project events
- Prepare, deliver, maintain and inventory classroom book-bins
- Administer surveys and collect data
- Provide classroom teachers and administrators with clear, accurate and regular communications
- Conduct bilingual Parent Education Sessions (if applicable to ability)
- Provide administrative office support
- Effective and engaging communicator – able to passionately articulate Read to Me Project’s purpose and value.
- Ability to work closely and develop strong relationships with diverse individuals.
- Effective time management, organizational, and problem solving skills.
- Organized and punctual.
- Ability to take initiative, self-directed and accountable.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Comfortable making presentations to small groups of teachers, parents and students.
- Creative problem solving and critical thinking: able to address and manage issues to achieve desired results.
- Bachelor’s Degree (in education preferred but not required)
- Basic computer skills
- Able to travel to program sites
- Meet all state required conditions of valid California Driver’s License
- Ability to lift 30-35lbs
- Fingerprints and Background checks: All personnel working in public schools with children must complete fingerprinting and a background check requirement. (Cost covered by Read to Me Project)
- TB Test: Required by all personnel working in schools. (Cost covered by Read to Me Project)
Helpful, but not required: Fluent bilingual English/Spanish Language
Start Date: February 1, 2018 (possibly sooner)
Hours: Up to 60 hours per month – weekly schedule will vary based on school schedules, but work will be conducted during school hours with occasional exceptions. Program coordinators are asked to follow implementation timelines, but will have discretion to set specific schedule. The program is implemented throughout the school year, September through June, and other duties are completed in the summer months.
For consideration please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com