Read to Me Project is honored to be included in this year’s Monterey County Gives! Campaign. From now until midnight December 31 (New Years Eve!) donations will be matched through the Campaign. Every dollar that goes to Read to Me Project helps to set the lives of underserved little ones on course to succeed in school. Literacy: the foundation for equity, opportunity and thriving communities.
$500 sponsors one classroom
$400 sponsors a bin of 80 books
$100 buys 20 books
$50 buys 10 books
$25 buys 5 books
Did you know that 85% of the brain develops by the age of 5 years?
This is why it is vital to ‘light up’ a young child’s mind by developing their curiosity, wonder and a love of learning from birth, which will set them on course to succeed in school and in life.
Read to Me Project helps underserved children achieve kindergarten readiness and a lifetime of literacy by empowering school age brothers and sisters to read to their young siblings at home.
WIN, WIN, WIN!
- Infants, toddlers and pre-k children learn new concepts, develop curiosity, vocabulary and cognitive skills.
- Older siblings report increased reading confidence and are developing empathy and caring relationships with young family members.
- Parents gain an understanding of the importance of early learning and good family literacy practices.
Generational cycles of low-literacy are disrupted and replaced with positive reading and learning experiences that can carry forward for generations to come.
WHAT MAKES READ TO ME PROJECT DIFFERENT?
- It’s a preventative platform designed to break the generational cycle of low-literacy in Monterey County’s underserved families.
- Uniquely reaches infant, toddler and preschoolers (ages 6 months to 5 years) in the home to prepare them to enter kindergarten ready to succeed by engaging their 4th, 5th and 6th grade student siblings in their learning development.
- Read to Me Project is far more cost effective than remediation. The annual cost per child participating in the Read to Me Project is an estimated $108. School district remediation programs are predicated on children failing and are expensive, time consuming and generally show limited results.
- We don’t simply hand out books and hope they are read. Students are taught how the brain works and that babies are born ready to learn. Through coaching sessions with Read to Me Project staff, participating students learn how reading to their young family members sparks the little one’s brain and inspires wonder and curiosity. Books are powerful tool for this purpose.
- In addition to working with students, bilingual Parent Education Sessions are offered at each participating school site. Parents learn about the importance of brain development during the first five years of a child’s life and how to easily engage during daily home activities to develop a strong foundation of thinking, language and vocabulary skills.
- Another Win! Children who succeed in school are more likely to complete high school, find good jobs, go on to college, and become life-long learners, productive citizens and parents who support learning by reading to their children. A literate community is a thriving community, a literate society is the foundation of equity and opportunity.
WHY DONATE THROUGH MONTEREY COUNTY GIVES!
By donating at least $5 through Monterey County Gives! Read to Me Project will receive an additional amount on top of your donation through the overall match. This overall match is based on a percentage on the amount that we raise. In addition, we also have some individual Challenge Grants. By donating through this campaign your gift goes a long way in helping us achieve our mission of having all children enter kindergarten prepared for a successful school career that will change the lives of the children, their families, and their communities. It all begins with siblings reading and succeeding!