Read to Me Project Program Coordinator
The Program Coordinator reports to Program Manager.
This is a part-time position at approx. 60 hours per month,
Expected start date: 8/1/2020. Open Until Filled.
Children are the heart of the Read to Me Project, a prevention-based, innovative program that helps children achieve kindergarten readiness and a lifetime of literacy by empowering upper-elementary age brothers and sisters to read to their young siblings at home. The Read to Me Project vision is: Every child entering kindergarten prepared to succeed.
Position Summary: Currently serving under-resourced schools in Monterey County, we are seeking an individual to create a welcoming and engaging online learning experience for students. The Program Coordinator position requires a highly organized individual to be an online trainer and advocate with the ability to develop rapport and inspire program participation with students and teachers. The Program Coordinator is trained to prepare, coordinate and oversee all aspects of program implementation including: delivering program curriculum, conducting online presentations, coaching groups of 4th, 5th and 6th grade participants, managing student surveys and data, and generally taking responsibility for successful program outcomes in assigned classrooms. Teaching or presentation skills are essential, as is the ability to navigate, or quickly learn to navigate, technology for online learning. This position is 90% remote/online work, with the occasional requirement to drive to school sites within Monterey County or the Read to Me Project office (Salinas).
Responsibilities include and are not limited to:
- Manage and implement the program, mostly online, with great attention to detail, working with assigned classrooms and schools according to a specific timeline:
- Create a friendly atmosphere for students to learn in the virtual learning environment
- Conduct online orientations to students and teachers
- Deliver monthly online coaching presentations to full classrooms and small groups of 4th, 5th,6th students in the area of literacy
- Become familiar with, maintain, and train students in the use of an online digital library
- Administer student enrollment and end-of-year survey.
- Review student reading logs, identify and resolve any challenges teachers and/or students may have
- Deliver hard-copy books to school sites and work with schools to periodically safely disinfect and distribute books to the next student reader, and to maintain inventory.
- Assess participating students’ needs during online small group sessions and problem solve to increase student success rate
- Manage communications and administrative tasks
- Provide classroom teachers and administrators with clear, accurate and regular communications, including setting schedules for online classroom presentations
- Manage and organize online program forms
- Collect and manage data
- Maintain regular communications with the Read to Me Project program manager
- Plan, schedule and execute Read to Me Project events as assigned
- Participate in staff training sessions and team meetings (online or at our Salinas office)
- Effective and engaging communicator – able to passionately articulate Read to Me Project’s purpose and value to students and educators
- Ability to create an engaging online learning experience for students through live and pre-recorded videos
- Ability to work closely and develop strong relationships with diverse individuals
- Effective time management, organizational, scheduling, and problem-solving skills, including ability to manage various projects and deadlines
- Organized and punctual
- Ability to take initiative, self-directed and accountable
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Comfortable making presentations to small groups of teachers, parents and students
- Creative problem solving and critical thinking: able to address and manage issues to achieve desired results
- Ability to trouble shoot and problem-solve basic technology problems
- Bachelor’s Degree (in education preferred but not required), or significant progress toward its achievement
- Proficiency in the use of technology, including Word, Excel, Outlook, Google Docs, and video conferencing (e.g. Zoom)
- Ability to travel to program sites as needed
- Meet all state-required conditions of valid California Driver’s License
- Ability to lift 30-35lbs
- Fingerprints and Background checks: All personnel working in public schools with children must complete fingerprinting and a background check requirement. (Cost covered by Read to Me Project)
- TB Test: Required by all personnel working in schools. (Cost covered by Read to Me Project)
- Consistent access to internet capable of reliable video-conferencing
Helpful, but not required:
- Fluent bilingual/bicultural English/Spanish
- Experience delivering online presentations and experience with a variety of online learning technologies
- Personal computer with the ability for video conferencing
Hours: It is important to note that the weekly work schedule will vary based on school and Read to Me Project implementation schedules. However, work will be conducted during school hours with occasional exceptions. Program coordinators are required to follow implementation timelines throughout the school year, August/September through June, and complete other duties at other times.
To apply or for more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org